Hillcrest Christian Reformed Church is a congregation that welcomes purposeful change. During the 60 years of its history, many changes have taken place both in society at large and in the church. We have had the courage to resist those changes that we believe are unhealthy for the church and its life; yet we have been willing to incorporate those that we believe will promote our life of service, worship and growth. We pray that we may always be faithful to the responsibilities and opportunities given us.
Plans for a New Congregation
During the decade of peace and prosperity of the 1950′s, plans were made for a new congregation in Hudsonville because the others were crowded and the community promised continued growth. The deadly tornado of April 3, 1956 set those plans aside temporarily by casting our community into tragedy and sorrow. But the interruption was short-lived, and the vision and courage of many carried forward.
The Foundations of Hillcrest
On May 29, 1956 an organizational meeting was held with 40 member families. Rev. Lubbertus Oostendorp began serving as the first pastor in 1957 and the church met in Unity Christian High School’s gym until 1960. Ground breaking for the sanctuary took place on March 19, 1960. Construction was completed in September 1960.
Hillcrest has been blessed with senior pastors including Rev. Lubbertus Oostendorp, Rev. Henry Van Wyk, Rev. Menno Jorritsma, Dr. .Howard Vanderwell. Pastor Larry Slings served as Interim Pastor, and Pastor Brian Bosscher. Rev. Curt Walters joined Hillcrest in October, 2020 and serves as our Lead Pastor.
Youth pastors have included Rev. Ken Schepel, Rich Verkaik, Rev. Mark Stephenson, Rev. Bob Vance and Pastor Kevin Van Wyhe. Pastor. Erika Doorn joined our staff in April of 2018 as our Youth Director. Hillcrest’s members are faithful in worshiping regularly and we have been marked as a congregation with outstanding congregational singing and music ministries. Our Directors of Music have included Norma de Waal Malefyt and Carrie Vander Hulst and Lori Plaisier. Chris Dekker joined our staff in June of 2015 as our Director of Worship and Music.
Over the years, Hillcrest daughtered four churches: Messiah CRC, Georgetown CRC, Cornerstone CRC and Evergreen Ministries. In the fall of 1990, double morning worship services began to accommodate all. In April 2001, ground breaking was held for a new addition including the multipurpose room and classrooms. In the spring of 2012, a simulcast morning service was started in our multi-purpose room called The Hill. Today we have an average Sunday attendance of about 400 members.
All website content and logos copyright of Hillcrest CRC 2020